Emergency Closing Information
Fox Lake Grade School District 114
Inclement Weather Procedures
Procedure for deciding to close school:
Canceling school is a complicated decision that affects students, families, and school staff. Providing students with a safe place to learn is a top priority for Fox Lake Grade School District 114 and is the primary consideration in making a school closing decision, but there are many.
The primary criteria we consider when making a decision include:
- The safety and well-being of students and staff
- Severity of the weather (extreme cold, snow, flooding etc.)
- Timing of weather (overnight, morning, evening, etc.)
- The ability for buses and cars to travel safely
- We continually monitor the forecast from the National Weather Service, and the superintendent confers with community officials and school personnel in order to make the best decision for students, staff and families. The superintendent makes the final decision regarding school closure. Although we strive each and every time to make the best decision regarding school closure, oftentimes no perfect decision exists.
In the event that school is canceled due to severe weather, we will make every attempt to notify families as soon as possible. As weather conditions may be unpredictable, it is often necessary to wait until the day we are anticipating severe weather to make a decision. If that is the case, a decision will be made by 5:30 AM the day of.
Additionally, when weather conditions become more hazardous than expected overnight, a morning decision is necessary. When possible and practicable, the decision will be made the evening before and communication will be sent by 8:00 PM
If school is in session and severe weather is expected in the evening, communication will be made by 2:00 PM that day regarding cancellations of after-school and evening activities.
We notify families via:
- Text messaging, email, and automated phone calls
- The District 114 website at www.d114.org
- The District 114 Twitter feed @FLGSD114
- The emergency closing center: emergencyclosingcenter.com
It is very important that you keep your contact information current on the school’s records. We want you to receive important messages so please make sure your phone numbers listed in your student’s Skyward records are accurate so you can receive messages.
Making the Decision to Close
In making a decision whether or not to close school, the following resources are utilized:
- An analysis of temperatures and wind chills.
- Determination by the District 114 transportation department as to whether or not it is safe to drive our busses on routes based on snow/ice expected accumulation.
- Road condition information from Grant Township and the Lake County Division of Transportation.
- School campus conditions.
- Consultation with area school districts, including Grant High School District 124.
Reopening of school will not be announced, but the closing announcement will be made each day as necessary. In the unlikely event that the decision is made to dismiss students before the end of the school day, the automated phone calling system will be activated to inform parents directly.